Solar Power Advantages and Disadvantages – Part 2
The advantages and disadvantages of solar power stand in fair balance, think some. For every 3 advantages, 3 disadvantages of solar power can be found. While we grant that solar power is less than perfect, we believe that the advantages and disadvantages of solar power are quite off balance in the direction of advantages.
In part 1 of this article, we looked at eight advantages of solar power that contribute to home life. Consider in more depth the advantages and disadvantages of solar power in a house, and you may rush to invest in it.
In Part 2, we turn to the advantages of solar power in portable applications.
Advantages of Portable Solar Power
Suppose you consider yourself rugged and tough. You enjoy the outdoors, exploring the earth with little more than a backpack, a map, and a compass. You do have a need or two, though. You are not beyond knowing the advantages of portable solar power. Even if the portability is limited to vehicular portability, you need some of these portable items.
* Battery charger: A solar power battery charger is inexpensive and can be taken almost anywhere – land or sea. Recharge vehicle batteries and small batteries in appliances.
* Generator: A portable generator allows you to establish camp in remote areas and still have electrical power. Whether you are camping out to get away from the rat race or working in the field, the advantages of solar power show up in free, usable electrical power.
* Lightweight: New solar backpacks are lightweight, making it easier to take solar power hiking. Roll-up solar panels also are light and portable, as well as waterproof.
* Hot Water: A luxury when trekking or camping is to have hot water. Portable solar power units provide hot water for showers and for hot beverages.
* Cell Phone: Take along a cell phone for emergency use without worrying about battery drain. Simply let a small, flexible solar panel recharge your cell phone.
* Camera: Solar power provides advantages for photographers, too. Free recharges for your cameras and other equipment ensure that no photos are missed.
* Laptop: A big advantage of solar energy for those who want to work in the field is its availability to power laptop computers.
* Marine: Boats equipped with portable solar power need not worry about losing emergency signaling power.
Portable solar energy can work while you hike, if you use a lightweight solar backpack. You have the advantage of powering an mp3 player while you hike and listen to music. Or you might let the backpack recharge a camera or other item while you hike.
These are only a few of the advantages. In our next article, we will turn from advantages to disadvantages of solar power.